Course of Entrenching at Epping
These fascinating photographs were kindly sent by John Duffell and show men of the 2/6th Battalion during their time on an entrenching course at Epping from 8th to 24th February.
Post Card from 2897 Pte Vernon Brelsford recording his time spent in Epping
Cassiobury Camp summer of 1915
A group of 2/6th Battalion men at Cassiobury Camp in the summer of 1915 (Photograph by Beckley in Watford). The man on the left is a Bugler and they are all armed with Japanese 6.5mm Type 38 Arisaka rifles.
Another group of 2/6th Battalion men at Cassiobury Camp in the summer of 1915. The man on the left is a Bugler and they are all armed with Japanese 6.5mm Type 38 Arisaka rifles.
In late 1914/early 1915, Britain acquired 150,000 Japanese rifles, consisting of Type 30 rifles and Type 38 rifles and carbines
On 25th February 1915 the 2/6th Battalion received ‘963 Japanese Rifles and 67 boxes of 1440 rounds of Japanese ammunition’. In early March Letter “B” Company was designated the ‘Imperial Service Company’ and placed under the Command of Capt. Evelyn Brown Johnson. At this time a special ‘1/6th Bn. Reinforcement Company’ was also established and the 1st Reinforcement was dispatched to the 1/6th Battalion in June 1915.
Evelyn Brown Johnson
The 2/6th Battalion was stationed at Watford from August 1915 until April 1916. During the summer they moved out of billets and pitched Camp in Cassiobury Park.
A group of 2/6th Battalion NCOs in Camp near Watford. The men are wearing Imperial Service Badges and a mixture of ‘Regular’ and ‘Territorial Force’ Notts & Derby Shoulder badges (photograph by J Lawrence of Watford)This Seargent is wearing the badge of Instructor of Gymnastics or Serjeant PTI (above) and the man in the middle of the back row is a Corporal Drummer with a drummer also present (below)
Some of the same N.C.O.s with 3 Officers, a Warrant Officer and Colour-SergeantTraining at Luton (photograph courtesy of Graham Conway)Machine Gun section at Watford in 1916
Men of the 2/8th Battalion (taken by Kay Photo near Luton)The ‘3-Tier’ shoulder Badge, Cap Badge and Imperial Service Badge all suggest that this is a man from the 1/8th or 2/8th Battalions
The 2/8th Battalion moved to Luton-Dunstable in January 1915 and moved into canvas camp at Cassiobury Park in June. They went back into billets in October 1915 and then to Ireland in April 1916.
A sweetheart card sent to 3106 Pte. Cyril Flint of the 2/5th Battalion Sherwood Foresters in August 1915 from Miss Esther Mary Duroe.
For more information on Cyril and Ether please see here