What I do know:-
- A postcard of the Empire Hotel, which was the HQ of the 2/6th Battalion Sherwood Foresters until they moved to Luton on 3rd Feb 1915.
- The postcard was posted from Epping on the 22nd Feb 1915.
- The 2/6th Sherwood’s were undergoing a course of entrenching in Epping from 8th to 24th Feb 1915.
Therefore the card mostly likely came from a man of the 2/6th Sherwood’s – agree ?
What I don’t know:-
- “Cecil House” is/was a old famous house on Wimbledon Common – but I can’t ID Lady Stanl(e)y
- The message suggests a reasonably well-off young lady – “several of my foals at Liverpool Street [station]”
- Any chance of an ID on Miss Thompson ?
Could there a link between Miss Thompson and an Officer of the 2/6th (or even other rank)?
But it’s not obvious to me at moment.
Unlikely to find an answer really, but I would like to know more about Cecil House and its occupants in 1914-15.