Roy Woodhouse was a painter and decorator and enlisted into “E” Matlock Company in January 1912 aged 19. He was the son of Elias and Clara Woodhouse of “Tor Side” on Jackson Rd in Matlock.
Roy arrived in France with the 46th North Midland Division in February 1915 and suffered a gun shot wound in the left forearm on the 1st July 1916. After treatment in the 3rd North Midland Field Ambulance, 20 Casualty Clearing Station and 16 General Hospital he returned to England on the 6th July 1917.
Following treatment Roy was transferred to the Command Depot at Ballyvonare before transferring the 5th Reserve Battalion Sherwood Foresters on the 24th January 1917. He died later that day in Strensall Hospital from haemorrhage in the the lateral ventricle and is buried in St Giles Church in Matlock.