16.2.1916 BEAUMETZ: Lt G.F. Gardner, 2/Lt T Grimshaw and 35 other ranks from Battalion Machine Gun Section proceeded to join 139th Brigade Machine Gun Company.
War Diary [WO/95/2694]
The numbers recorded in the War Diary appear to be incorrect - see below.
16.2.1916: The Brigade Machine Gun Company concentrated today under Capt F. B. ROBINSON in billets in BERNAVILLE.
139 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters War Diary [WO95/2692]
Army Service record for 3259 Pte George Harry Fearn, an electrician from Clay Cross, recording his transfer to the 139 BDE MACH GUN CORP on the 16th February 1916.
The 1/6th men that transferred to the 139th Brigade Machine Gun Company were as follows:-
In late 1915 the Battalion Machine Gun Section comprised a Lieutenant, Sergeant, Corporal, 2 drivers, batman and 12 Privates that were trained in the maintenance, transport, loading and firing of the Vickers heavy machine gun. These men made up two six-man gun teams.
- 1265 Sergt. Dudley Spicer (24226)
- 811 Pte. George Handbury (24227)
- 3334 Pte. John H Watson (24228)
- 2068 Pte. Alfred Allen (24229)
- 2707 Pte. George EH Hurt (24230)
- 1701 Pte. Harry Ellison (24231)
- 1779 Pte. William Ollerenshaw (24232)
- 1784 Pte. Frank Swann (24233)
- 1800 Pte. William E Hughes (24234)
- 1801 Pte. Edgar Porter (24235)
- 1841 Pte. George F Johnson (24236)
- 1846 Pte. James White (24237)
- 2223 Pte. James Dudley (24238)
- 3259 Pte. George Henry Fearn (24239)
- 3340 Cpl. George Bagshaw (24240)
- 3652 Pte. Arthur Marshall (24241)
- 1656 Pte. Hedley Bennett (24242)